Max's Blog


12-06-2012
We're on the cusp of what promises to be my worst birthday of all time, but I can't pretend I'm not excited about it. Somehow spending my "special day " on a plane and sacrificing 13 hours to the time change doesn't seem so bad when compared to the greater purpose of going to the Philippines for ISLP. Besides, I like plane food.
I think what I'm most excited about right now is the idea of just getting this trip started, though. The past few days have admittedly been pretty crazy in that it was difficult to put a bow on finals week by the end of reading day, but I know that I'll be happy to have sacrificed a little sleep this week to have the luxury of enjoying the tropics while my friends are still studying. The plane at this point represents putting the semester behind me and getting this adventure started. As far as initial expectations, I'm honestly trying not to have any. I expect to be a little bit culture shocked (especially in the schools), and students that have gone before have described just how 'different' the lifestyle of the people in Cebu is, but I'm doing my best to greet the trip with open arms and take it all in.
More than anything I'm just excited. I'm trying to stay conscious of what a unique opportunity it will be to see new people, see new places, try new foods, and serve in Banilad elementary school. More to come!
Max Voorhies
- University of Louisville International Service Learning Program







Comments

Popular Posts