Never Would Have Imagained...


     Going to another country has made me realize that the world is so much bigger than I could ever imagine. I had the opportunity to go to Trinidad and Tobago and feel so blessed. I went with UofL as part of the International Service Learning Program. Even though it was during my spring break, I couldn’t ask for a better one. It was a service learning program so we had a planned agenda as well as some free time to enjoy ourselves. Some of the things we participated in were, going to a local NGO that promoted recycling and raising the importance of it; so that was fun to get dirty and put in work for a greater good. Also we went to a school and taught a couple of classes about the importance of recycling. The students were so respectful and sweet. The main reason that we were there was to collaborate with University of West Indies and University of Trinidad and Tobago on the importance of education and share some “best practices” on how to make Trinidad a culture that wants to be active and engaged in civic engagement. The symposium went well and I am happy that I could contribute to something internationally.

     Each day I would wake up eager to start my day. We stayed in a beautiful resort where the staff was so hospitable! It was amazing! We went snorkeling; kayaking and I faced my fear and jumped off a boat in the ocean! This experience has been a humbling one because I get to see how much I have and compare that to others that don’t have as much, yet are still happy and eager to succeed in life. It has made me stop always wishing for more and be appreciative of what I do have.
     The beaches and ocean were so calming and relaxing, it made me not want to leave! Though I missed my home I was not ready to go home. There was so much still to do and see that I couldn’t possibly see in just one week. Some of the girls on the trip and I have already talked about having a reunion trip. I definitely plan on returning in the near future!
Raqueal Pullums
-University of Louisville International Service Learning Program


Comments

Popular Posts