2016 Cebu Reflection


The ISLP Philippines was an opportunity to immerse myself into another culture, to discover the many advancements and areas of progress of the Filipino people. When we first were introduced to the schools they put on beautifully planned greetings. It was quite an experience seeing the girls twirl in their dresses while the boys fiddled around them…and then we were pulled into the dance and I knew I was going to love it there. Just as we were interested in learning about the students, so were they about us. It made my heart melt seeing the minds work on our projects in class. If a project failed, they were quick to redesign it. I enjoyed hearing some of the ambitions of the students such as an engineering and entrepreneurship. One of the things I loved most was seeing so many LGBT students and being able to relate to them on a deeper level.

The ISLP Philippines added so much more to appreciation for humanity and the ability to build a bond with another human no matter how different our cultures are. I relished the moments when I would look at the students and see so much of myself in them. We all had ambitions, dreams, fears, and passions. It was truly a magical experience. 

~ Onajia Stubblefield - Philippines 2016

Comments

Popular Posts