I Do Know It Will Be Worth It

I promised myself I would go on this trip when I made my schedule last year. I admit that I was, and am nervous. I have not been away from my daughters for very long, and I am not great at letting my guard down. In fact, I honestly say that I don’t get out much.  I had my first daughter in undergrad while at UofL and I had my second daughter in my first year of law school. I say this only to make it clear why I don’t get out much. So, I thought to myself, “Self, you should study abroad in your last year of school ever.” So I registered, telling myself “it is never too late to learn something new.”

Since then, I have learned a lot about the place we are soon to visit. We spent countless hours studying the environment, politics, culture, and people of the Philippines. I can say one thing for certain: I can’t wait to land in Cebu. 


In our small groups we have come up with an extensive curriculum to teach while in our schools. The law students have decided to teach human rights. Right now, not only in the Philippines but in the United States as well, the need to learn about our rights is vital. So much of what we see in our country and around the world is violence and the violation of humanity’s most basic rights. We felt that it was important to teach kids not only how to treat each other but how they should be treated.
I am excited to teach the Filipino students. And although I am certain, the students will learn something from us, I am sure we will learn a lot as well. 


In the coming days we will finish putting together our materials, get packed and take off around the world. 


We will meet new people, eat new and exciting foods, see new things and experience a new culture. But most importantly we will have the opportunity to make a positive change in someone else’s life.
I am relatively sure this trip will amaze me. I am not sure how yet, but I know enough to know that I don’t know what to expect. I do know that it will be worth it. I know I made the right choice—it is never too late to learn something and see something new.
            
Georgia Elder - Law - Philippines 2017



Comments

Popular Posts