Did you know some of our faculty have been part of ISLP for more than 15 years! Because of their dedication and hard work, we thought it was time to put them under the spotlight. Learn more about our first featured professor, Dr. Joy Hart.

Joy Hart – Professor, Department of Communication


Who or what encouraged you to join ISLP?
I enjoy travel and my favorite type is to places that are off the highly traveled paths.  I spent the last semester of my undergraduate program in Ecuador and that fueled parts of this passion.  Also, my colleague, Dr. Kandi Walker, was the catalyst for my ISLP involvement.


When did you join ISLP?
In the early 2000s.


How many ISL programs have you participated in? 
I’ve been fortunate to participate in them all – Belize, Barbados, Botswana, Croatia, the Philippines, and Trinidad and Tobago.  It’s been fun watching ISLP grow, and I look forward to its continued development.

What is one of your favorite memories from the trips?
There are SO many fond memories that it is hard to selected just one.  However, something I will always remember is the children who handcrafted flags from their nation and ours to welcome us to the Philippines. 


Any advice for students interested in ISLP?
I have lots of advice!  However, I would especially stress to take time to get to know people, talk with everyone you can, and enjoy your time away.  It is also important to be flexible—you will learn more from the journey than sticking with a pre-determined plan.


Is there a quote or saying you live by?
“Service is the rent we pay for being.  It is the very purpose of life, and not something you do in your spare time.” –Marion Wright Edelman


What was the last emoji you used?
The red heart and a smiley face, but I am more into Xpresso these days.


What would we be surprised to find out about you?
Ha ha!  Probably lots of things!  Let’s go with this fun fact:  Science fiction is my favorite genre of books and movies. In fact, a group of friends and I used to go on opening day to see any science fiction movie playing in Louisville.  We saw some great ones, but also some truly terrible ones!






Comments

Popular Posts