Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Steve Sohn


Who or what encouraged you to join ISLP? 
My friends & colleague Dr. Kandi Walker and Dr. Joy Hart asked me to join, and the idea of helping students to learn through service experience was what I found really interesting and exciting.

When did you join ISLP?
 I joined ISLP Croatia group in Spring of 2016.

How many ISL programs have you participated in? 
I've traveled to Croatia with ISLP every year for last 4 years, and will be going to Philippines for the 1st time in  December this year.



What is one of your favorite memories from the trips? 
Almost every moment I've spent with the students and faculty members during the trip every year has been all very special and I really can't pick the favorite out of them all. Really~!!!

Any advice for students interested in ISLP?
 
Be prepared to work, to learn, and to have fun. And be warned that joining ISLP may become your life-changing experience, but in a really good, positive way.



What's your top travel tip? 
Travel light and pack only what you really need. SAFE-GUARD your travel document (i.e. passport), and always double-check your itinerary.



Is there a quote or saying you live by? 
"I can resist everything except temptation" by Oscar Wilde...   No just kidding. That's not the quote I live by... I don't really have a quote or saying that I live by.



What was the last emoji you used? Smiley face  ðŸ™‚

What would we be surprised to find out about you? 
Boy---, I don't know... Hmmm, May be the fact that I am really into traditional outdoor activities like fishing and target shooting and such??? Why would that be a surprising thing about me? I'm not sure but I've been told that I didn't look like a outdoor-y type of person???



What's the best piece of travel advice you've received or would like to share? 
We are talking about international travel here, thus, "Always expect the unexpected, good or bad. And try to maintain positive mindset, no matter what the situation might be." For example, your flight is getting delayed for several hours. Use that as an opportunity to get to know your fellow students better.

What place is top of your bucket list? 
Going to a different part of the world and spend several weeks there doing nothing but  trying different local foods, normal and weird. Especially Vietnam. Boy I love Vietnamese foods and it will be truly nice to travel through Vietnam on an extensive food tour. Another one on top of my bucket list is to go on a deep-sea fishing in south pacific.


Comments

Popular Posts