Faculty Spotlight: Shelley Santry

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: SHELLEY SANTRY

Who or what encouraged you to join ISLP​?
My longtime friend Whitney Nash told me about the ISLP program and when the program looked at adding more disciplines like Law - Whitney recommended me.



When did you join ISLP?  ​
My first trip was to Croatia in May 20??



How many ISL programs have you participated in? 
Croatia was 3 years; Philippines is 4 years; Belize is 3 years for a total of 10 trips.

What is one of your favorite memories from the trips? 
The first time I went to the Philippines and we drove up that mountain for the first time and we were greeted by 100s of children dressed in their school uniforms, waving flags, singing nd dancing.  I was so moved by their genuine happiness that we were there to teach.



Any advice for students interested in ISLP?  
Figure out how to swing the costs and do it.  It is an opportunity that you will always cherish and the time to travel and learn and teach is now.

What's your top travel tip?  
Buy those spiral wrist and ankle mosquito bands!!  JK.  I would say to remember to stop, look around and take it all in.  Put your phone down and Enjoy every second.



Is there a quote or saying you live by?  
Be Kind, you don't know what people are going through or what they have been through.

What was the last emoji you used? 
💕💕💕



What would we be surprised to find out about you?  I like to jump out of planes, I have 5 kids (ages 21, 21, 20, 18 and 17), I own and ride horses and I was a college athlete (Diver) at Purdue!



What's the best piece of travel advice you've received or would like to share?  
Look around.



What place is top of your bucket list? 
Swimming with the sharks off the Galapagos Island.




Comments

Popular Posts