Work Day 1

Today was our first work day, and it was AWESOME! I started out in the schools. The kids were so excited that we were there. After about ten minutes we all got acquainted with each other, and everything just flowed. Communications did an "All about me" pamphlet, and Justice Administration did a workshop on bullying. The kids really got into both activities. They were not shy about answering questions or sharing stories. Most were eager to tell about their home lives. We came to a point when they were talking about a famous dance in their country and two of the boys got up and taught two to me. The school and interacting with the children was definitely the highlight of my day! In the afternoon, I went to the Dental Clinic. I enjoyed learning about the process of pulling teeth. I am officially a pro at using the suction tool and holding a flash light. Overall my time here in Belize has been amazing. I really feel like I am making a difference here, no matter how small it may be. I am very blessed to have this opportunity. If anyone ever has the opportunity to participate in something like this whether it is local or in a foreign country, do it! It is the most rewarding experience of my life. The people are loving and receptive. The children are dolls, and the country itself is unlike anything you have ever seen in your life!!!

Carmen Blakemore- Senior JA

Comments

Popular Posts