First Time, but Not My Last

I am soooooo proud of everyone today! We collaborated with It's Up To Menvironment and accomplished several tasks. This was my first time engaging with a non-government organization (normally referred to as non-profit in the USA) and found the experience extremely rewarding and humbling. Being able to say that I was a part of a community effort to improve its environment has given me more purpose than anything I've ever done. Although I was initially uncomfortable with wielding a hammer to disassemble a wooden palette, it actually did not feel like work. Perhaps it was due to the collaborative effort toward a common goal with people whom I came to understand and really like that made the task bearable, and I would even venture to say…. FUN! 

A lot of previous assumptions were challenged that day. I really enjoyed working with the students from the University of Trinidad and Tobago. My poor partner almost lost his thumb though for instilling too much faith in my ability to wield a hammer. Nonetheless, I had such a great time. I am beyond grateful for this opportunity and have been inspired to embark in more.

Kheo Ly
-University of Louisville International Service Learning Program

Comments

Popular Posts